Sunday, November 2, 2008

Peter Gabriel (Solo)



When I sat down to do this post I thought I would have a lot to say about Peter Gabriel, and I do. However the words have not come easily. I have been a fan since high school and I have plenty of thoughts and feelings about his music. But what can you say about something so sublime and ineffable as this? It bypasses the mind and heads straight for the heart and soul. It is sensational, ethereal and sometimes downright bizarre. It has Its own style with elements of rock, funk, world beat, pop and new age. It seems to project his character and one feels as if he knows Peter after spending time with the music. No other artist touches the heart quite like Peter Gabriel.




I Can't Remember... Classic early solo work. I recommend the Plays Live double disc, it has a good version of this song and is a good all around 'best of' of the early solo Gabriel stuff. Early solo Peter Gabriel leans toward rock with some pop feel. And as always... it's very weird, which is probably why I love it.



This Is The Picture with Laurie Anderson... surreal.




An interview with Gabriel about the making of the soundtrack to Martin Scorsese's The Last Temptation of Christ. This album is has a new-agey feel with a lot of middle eastern overtones. A cool movie and a great soundtrack that stands on its own.


Growing Up... This video from the Growing Up Live tour Illustrates the strange intensity of Peter Gabriel's live show, a quality that is consistant throughout his career. It's amazing he didn't knock anyone over.




Sky Blue... from his album UP. Sky Blue is somber and moving.

No comments: